What Is An ALICE-Friendly Workplace?
An ALICE-friendly workplace is one in which employers recognize and take action to support their ALICE employees. In an ALICE-friendly workplace, leadership is willing to take a step back and look at their present practices and policies – what impact they might be having on their ALICE workers, and how they could be changed or improved to help make life better for those workers.
Business leaders can begin to make a positive difference by taking a few initial steps:
- Conduct an assessment: Work with managers and Human Resources to identify segments of your workforce that might be in the ALICE demographic.
- Identify barriers: Make an effort to understand the challenges these workers face, both inside and outside work
- Consider solutions: Brainstorm ideas for helping to support ALICE, through the following pathways:
- Evaluate the options: Conduct a cost/benefit analysis of employee investment initiatives that will remove barriers to employee productivity and company success
- Get feedback: Before rolling out an initiative to the entire workforce, get a small group of employees together to provide critical feedback and identify potential pitfalls to implementation
- Share your success: Consider reaching out to other businesses to share ideas, resources, and strategies.